-     Gateway to The Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

Upper Peninsula of Michigan and Alger County Detail      Welcome to Alger County Online     

Home | Alger County Webcams | Current News

Main Menu
 Alger County - A Short History

About Alger County

Public Library

Alger County Towns

Eben Junction
Forest Lake
Grand Marais
Munising - County Seat
Rock River
Sand River
Shelter Bay
Van Meer

Site Features

Current News
Groomer Report
Search this Site
Munising Woodenware

All Area Web Sites

Complete list of Links

Need Help ???

Clcik here to see our Area Service Persons
Alger County WWII

A Short History of Alger County

A Monument, consisting of a bronze bust of Russell A. Alger mounted on a stone pedestal, on the grounds of the William G. Mather High School, Elm Avenue and Chocolay Street, Munising. It was erected in June, 1909, with funds provided by the heirs of Alger and by the Board of Education of the Munising Township Schools. The inscription reads:

Feb. 27, 1836 - Jan. 24, 1907. Brevet Major General, U. S. V., Governor of Michigan, Secretary of War, U. S. Senator, for whom this county was named.

[Russell Alexander Alger was born in Ohio in 1836. He settled in Grand Rapids, Michigan, in 1859, and upon the outbreak of the Civil War became captain of Company C of the 2nd Michigan Cavalry when it was organized in the summer of 1861. He subsequently became major of this regiment, lieutenant colonel of the 6th Michigan Cavalry, and colonel of the 5th Michigan Cavalry. He resigned from the service on September 20, 1864. He was brevetted brigadier general and major general of United States Volunteers for gallant and meritorious services during the war. In 1866, Alger established a residence in Detroit where he resided the rest of his life. He became a leading lumberman and also one of the most prominent Republican politicians of his day. He served as governor of Michigan 1885-86, secretary of war, 1897-99, and United States senator from Michigan from 1902 to his death in 1907. Messages of the Governors of Michigan, edited by George N. Fuller, 3:517-20 (Lansing, 1927).

1943 - In a major flip-flop of highway designations, the routings of M-28 and M-94 are
switched west of Munising. M-28, which formerly ran southwest, then west from the
Munising area through Forest Lake and Chatham to US-41, then north along with US-41
to Harvey is rerouted along the former M- 178 (which is removed) into downtown
Munising, then west along the former route of M-94 along the Lake Superior shoreline to
US-41 at Harvey. M-94 is rerouted south from Munising along the ex-M-178 for a mile,
then southwest and west along the former M-28 through Chatham to end at US-41 three
miles south of Skandia.
1959 - The 14-mile loop of M-94 north of M-28 between Shingleton and Munising is
removed from the state highway system and M-94 is rerouted concurrently with M-28
from Shingleton west through Wetmore to the junction of M-94 two miles south of
downtown Munising. Also, a BUS M-28 routing is added through the downtowns of
Negaunee and Ishpeming. With the exception of the 13-mile leg of M-28 between
Wakefield and the Wisconsin state line, the last 10 miles of gravel- surfaced highway on
the rest of M-28 is paved.

Alger County Online is your source for current Alger County information.
Information about Past - Present - Future
Comments? Questions? Suggestions?

Copyright © 1998-2018 Alger County Online, All Rights Reserved
webmaster @ algercounty.com